My photo
Welcome to my blog! I'm a senior in college who loves reading, writing, makeup, beauty, movies, and laughing.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

"The Lord is my shepherd..."

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to His name." - Psalm 23:1-3

Some thoughts shared from HERE.

This tells us that the shepherd meets the sheep’s every need: food, water, rest, safety and direction. When we as believers follow our Shepherd, we too know that we will have all we need. We will not lack the necessities of life for He knows exactly what we need. Sheep will not lie down when they are hungry, nor will they drink from fast-flowing streams. Sometimes the shepherd will temporarily dam up a stream so the sheep can quench their thirst.

Verse 2 speaks of leading the sheep “beside the quiet waters.” The shepherd must lead his sheep because they cannot be driven. Instead, the sheep hear the voice of their shepherd and follow him—just as we listen to our Shepherd, Jesus Christ—in His Word and follow Him. And if a sheep does wander off, the shepherd will leave the flock in charge of his helpers and search for the lost animal.

In verse 3, the Hebrew word translated “paths” means “well-worn paths or ruts.” In other words, when sheep wander onto a new path, they start to explore it, which invariably leads them into trouble. This passage is closely akin to what the Hebrew writer warns us about: “Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings.”

Finally, the shepherd cares for the sheep because he loves them and wants to maintain his own good reputation as a faithful shepherd. In declaring that He is the shepherd of the sheep, Jesus is confirming that He is God. The Eternal God is our Shepherd. And we would not want it any other way.


4 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite Bible verses! I think it is a very good one to remember! =)
    Thanks for the comment on my blog by the way! It made my day!
    That is cool your Mom painted her nails green for St. Patrick's Day too! LOL =)
    God Bless!

    A Servant for Christ,
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Great reminder. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love reading and meditating on this Psalm of David. Thank you so much Bo for sharing this message with us. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx for the photo of the sheep resting with its feet tucked up under it.....with its feet tucked up under it a sheep cant wonder off or rush around aimlessly it has to stay still and rest....just like Jesus wants us to in Him. Been looking for a photo like this since i heard this thought from Jospeh Prince. :)
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting..!